Friday, June 24, 2011

Take Two!

While I was bummed that Round #1 didn't work, I was still optimistic... because when there are no problems and every hormone level, intercourse timing, and sperm are pefect, you still only have a 25% chance of getting pregnant each cycle. I tossed around the idea of taking a few months off of taking Clomid, because I really didn't want a November or December baby... too many holidays!  I've always wanted a Spring or Summer baby... but Ted didn't want to take a break and I decided that I really can't afford to be picky when I have fertility problems. Round #2 it was!


I started Round #2 in mid February. Once again I was prescribed 50 mg Clomid, cycle day 6 - 10. But for Round #2, my Dr wanted to do a progesterone check at 7 days post ovulation. Just to check to see if the we had the correct dose of Clomid. Apparently a progesterone level above 5 means that ovulation occured, but they want the level to be up around 15 when on a medicated cycle. I'm not exactly sure what the numbers mean.. all I know is that progesterone is needed to thicken the uterine lining. Got to have that nice comfy place for Mr or Ms Eggy. =)  So, on day 28 I went and had my blood drawn. I waited 3 days for my results... it was a 14.6. So I definitely ovulated, but the number wasn't as high as the Dr would like it.  I was informed that it was still possible to get pregnant with this progesterone level, but not likely.  I still had to wait another week until my period started or a positive pregnancy test. 


Since the evil bitch showed up instead of a positive pregnancy test, my Dr decided that for Round #3 she would up my dose to 100 mg of Clomid.


When I took Clomid for Reagan, I don't remember any side effects.  This time however... holy cow.  The hot flashes are the worst!  I feel like I'm menopausal, not trying to get pregnant!  I tried taking the pills in the evening because some people have less side effects, but not even that helped.  I have hot flashes for weeks.. then i'm starting the next round.  Its never ending!  Then, to top the hot flashes, is the ovulation pain.  I can definitely tell that I'm ovulating because it hurts to walk, sneeze, cough, and sometimes even breathe.  It lasts about a day and a half and then I'm fine.  But no matter what side effects I have to endure, its completely worth it and I'll continue on until I'm holding my newborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment